A Letterkenny based A&E doctor is training for a 240km ‘Walk to Knock’ to raise funds for Marys Meals Ireland.
Dineo Moiloa-Murphy, a native of South Africa, is a finalist in the Miss/Mrs Africa UK pageant.
Dr Moiloa is a Specialist Emergency Physician at Letterkenny University Hospital.
When not working, she is wearing her sash with pride at local events, including Africa Day in Letterkenny and engagement with migrant communities in Convoy.
This summer, Dineo is using her platform to shine a light on Mary’s Meals.
“I will be donating my time from 7 to 15 August 2023 to join the Malin to Knock Step by Step challenge,” she said.
“I am grateful and thankful for the Mary’s Meals family and community for highlighting the importance and effects of global hunger in impoverished communities.
“It’s also humbling to realise how little it takes to keep a child in school and give them hope for the future. I pledge to complete the whole 240 km walk from Malin to Knock, to promote the work of this charity, as well as help raise funds to help keep the promise to all children and communities in need.
“I am proud and inspired by the work that Patricia Friel and Fr Eamon do, tirelessly and with grace,” Dineo added.
You can donate to Dineo’s challenge here: https://www.marysmeals.ie/fundraising#/?keyword=Ubuntu
The Mrs/Miss Africa platform and competition was created for African women, aged 30+ based in the UK & Ireland.
This isn’t a standard beauty pageant, Dineo said: “Miss/Mrs Africa UK does away with the unrealistic ideals that do not represent or resonate with the day-to-day experiences of real women, but instead showcases true beauty that shines from within. It celebrates every woman in her uniqueness.”
The final takes place in Manchester in September, with online voting opening soon.
Dineo’s journey is being well supported by her sponsors, who she would like to thank:
- Soul of Africa Healing and Holistic massage place: High road Letterkenny (Facebook/insta: PrideofAfricaLK)
- Ultraplus cleaning services: woman-owned eco-friendly company based in Co. Laois (https://ultrapluscleaningservice.ie/)
- Letterkenny Medics and Aesthetics: my former Emergency doctor colleagues who executed a well-envisioned dream of opening their own private practice in Letterkenny (https://www.letterkennymedics.ie/)
- North West Forestry service, Ballybofey (c/o Steven Doherty). Keeping our parks, forests neat. Also involved in a lot of forestry and first aid training) (https://nwfs.ie/)
- C& G Haulage based in Ballybofey
- Lawne Motorfactors – Navenny Street , Ballybofey (Facebook: Lawne Motorfactors)
“I am humbled by the support of the community in Donegal at large. I can’t wait to make them proud in Manchester on 9/9/23.”
You can donate to Dineo Walk to Knock here: https://www.marysmeals.ie/fundraising#/?keyword=Ubuntu