Can You Help Strengthen the Bones of Donegal?
The Irish Osteoporosis Society (IOS) is delighted to announce its upcoming seminar in Donegal on April 14 and is encouraging its members, healthcare professionals, and the general public to attend.
Although the society provides continuing support to its Donegal members, this will be the first time it has been able to visit the county in over ten years.
Osteoporosis is a silent and hugely debilitating disease that causes the bones to become weak, resulting in a range of symptoms, a loss of mobility, and reduced independence if left untreated. The condition is also much more common than most people realise and not confined to older women.
More than half of people over 50 will fracture a bone from osteoporosis, which can present major complications that in some cases, become life-threatening. 90 per cent of hip fractures are due to undiagnosed osteoporosis and tragically, most are preventable if the disease is detected early.
Only around 19 per cent of osteoporosis cases are diagnosed. Awareness, education, and insight are key to early detection and preventing the serious complications the condition brings. The IOS works with leading clinical experts to gather the best evidence and advice, and is dedicated to reducing the incidence of osteoporosis and promoting good bone health all over Ireland. Aoife Ni Eochaidh, a Chartered Physiotherapist, will also be presenting at the event to discuss an array of bladder and bowel problems that affect both men and women. 75 per cent of these issues can be resolved and the remaining 25 per cent improved with the correct treatment and information.
The IOS provides a valuable, friendly, and comprehensive service to people in Donegal, where these services are hugely needed. The county is often isolated and faces major challenges in accessing healthcare and information. The following testimonial describes just one example of how the society changed lives in the county:
I would like to thank the Irish Osteoporosis Society for advising on the care of my mother Mary aged 92 years. It transpired that in the course of assessing her osteoporosis and treatment for it, she was discovered to be very deficient in Vitamin D. As a result of correcting this, she is like a new woman. All the tiredness that she had, and the cold that she was feeling in her hands and feet has disappeared. She has renewed energy and is in great form. As the saying goes, age is but a number and she is a perfect example of that. However, quality of life is important at any age and the work of the society ensures that people of all ages with this debilitating condition get the proper advice and care that they deserve.
The IOS is bringing its experts, knowledge, and resources to the people of Donegal next month, and is calling on local businesses to help. The Station House Hotel has kindly donated a conference room for the event, and the IOS is asking for financial sponsorship to assist with other costs. It would also welcome the donation of spot prizes for a raffle during the event.
If you would like to know more, donate a spot prize, or sponsor any (or all) of the event, you can contact Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org. All major sponsors will be acknowledged on the night and on the official IOS website.
The public can register on the night at the door but to ensure you have a seat, we recommend you register for the event by donating €15 on the official IOS website at: https://www.irishosteoporosis.ie/you-can-help/donate/ and by typing “Donegal event” in the subject line.