One of the first things Shaun said was: "Mum and dad, I love you."
After more than four weeks in a deep coma in intensive care at St.Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, a young Ramelton man has awoken on his 21st birthday.
Shaun Dunworth gave the most amazing news to parents Stevan and Karen after tragedy struck the popular young man in Australia a month ago, the Tirconaill Tribune reports.
Shaun was rushed to the hospital on Sunday morning July 29th with major trauma and brain injuries after falling off the Harbour Bridge onto a concrete underpath sustaining life-threatening injuries.
His parents made the gruelling 33 hour journey of 11,700 kms to arrive at his bedside two days later.
In what was the most emotional day of their lives last Monday, the Dunworth family who kept vigil at Shaun’s bedside since their arrival helped the nurses to decorate the room for Shaun’s 21st without any knowledge that he might open his eyes and talk to them.
It was his first steps on the road to recovery in what has been an amazing journey of unity, prayer, support and fundraising that hopefully will see Shaun return to his native Bridgend… sooner than most might have expected.
Shaun has successfully undergone a number of key surgeries on his pelvis and face and as he sat on the side of his bed on his 21st birthday he hugged his parents as they shed floods of tears in joyful celebration.
And in the past 24 hours Shaun has been taken off life support and is out of intensive care.
Back home in Ramelton as news filtered back of Shaun’s progress the community has been overjoyed and goodwill messages have flooded into their homes wishing him a speedy recovery.
Shaun’s aunt, Geraldine Magee said this week that the family circle are overwhelmed with the good news and while there is a long road to recovery, they are thankful to God that Shaun is now making good progress.
And while MRI scans remain to be done she said that he was well aware of his surroundings and his responses have been very positive and they are all very hopeful for his future progress and return home.
Shaun who was in Australia since January had worked in shuttering on construction and had been accepted to engage on his visa programme days before the tragedy happened.
And as Ramelton rallied round in support a congregation of six hundred attended a Mass of Solidarity in St. Mary’s Church with celebrants Fr. Michael Carney and Fr. Des Sweeney.
A Go Fund Me page soon clocked up over €50,000 and on next Monday night an all star dance takes place in the Silver Tassie Hotel. The tickets are still available around the town priced at €20.
The night features, Jimmy Buckley: Robert Mizzell: Gary Gamble: Martin Orr along with Jason and Paul McCahill.
Numbers of events, including a car wash: coffee morning: a pub quiz, card drive, a pyjama party have added to the total raised while on Saturday week, September 8th a vintage and classic car run will take place with a 1.00pm start from the Quay at Ramelton. Participants are asked to assemble at midday and entry fee per car is €20.
And in the past couple of days Shaun Dunworth has been outside in the fresh Sydney air on his own journey of discovery and we join with the community in wishing him a very speedy recovery.