A three year old boy is in intensive care after a Paw Patrol soap cannister exploded in his bath.

The little boy from Derry suffered external and internal burns after the incident with a Paw Patrol Foam Soap, Belfast Live reports.

The boy is currently in intensive care at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Belfast. His condition is reported to be critical.

A community alert was raised across Northern Ireland after the boy’s aunt shared a warning on social media to all parents.

Aunt Erin Houston wrote on Wednesday: “Our nephew was in the bath tonight with this Paw Patrol Foam Soap and it exploded. He’s been rushed to the hospital and has to go to the Royal.

“Please please keep him in your thoughts and prayers he’s only 3.”

A photo of the product was shared to appeal to parents of the potential danger of the product.

Paw Patrol Foam Soap

The mouldable foam soap is popular among children as they use it to make foam shapes in the bathtub.

Former Derry Mayor Pat Ramsey has called on retailers to take the product off the shelves and called for a public investigation “before a young innocent child loses their life.”